- Automotive fluids (except motor oil)
- Car tires (with or without rims) up to four per household
- Kerosene and other flammable liquids
- Mercury, thermometers, thermostats
- Electronic waste (computers and peripherals, televisions, cell phones, etc.
- Refrigerant-containing household appliances (air conditioners, refrigerators and dehumidifiers)
- Expired or unused pharmaceuticals (this is available on certain days each month, which can be determined when scheduling a reservation. Prescription or over-the-counter medications must be in their original bottle or container.)
- Metal, jewelry, and furniture polish
- Pesticides, insecticides, herbicides
- Photo and swimming pool chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Wood preservations and stains
- Fluorescent light bulbs (including CFLs and tube-shaped fluorescent bulbs). LEDs do not contain mercury and are not classified as toxic; therefore, they can be disposed of in the garbage.
- Rechargeable batteries (including vehicle batteries and button cell)
- Fire extinguishers
Westchester County has opened a Household Material Recovery Facility on the Grasslands Reservation in Valhalla. The address is 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, New York 10595. The days of operation are Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 am to 3 pm by appointment only. Please visit their website to make an appointment, or call the Recycling HelpLine at 914-813-5425.
Check the Westchester County website.