Property tax exemptions are available to veterans who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces, including veterans who have served in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. There is no age or income requirement for this exemption.
Obtaining a veteran's exemption is not automatic - If you're an eligible veteran, you must submit the initial exemption application form to your assessor. The application deadline is June 1st. Proof of discharge under honorable conditions including times and places served in active duty (usually form DD-214) must be attached to the exemption application.
For more information on the Veteran Exemption see Publication 1093 - Veteran Exemption Questions and Answers (PDF)
View the applications to apply (you can only qualify for one of the two). All exemption applications are due by June 1st.
- Alternative Veterans Exemption Application (PDF)
- Alternative Veterans Exemption Instructions (PDF)
- Cold War Veterans Exemption Application (PDF)
- Cold War Veterans Exemption Instructions (PDF)
If you need copies of service records or other information, you can contact the following as to how you should proceed:
- your local office of the New York State Division of Veterans Affairs (listed in the telephone directory under New York State)
- your County Veterans' Service Agency, or
- the Federal Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132